Welcome to my site where I love to explore what I believe the bible says. I find myself looking for answers in God's Word for questions I encounter daily in life and am blessed to have others share their questions with me. Keep in mind that these are only my thoughts and my opinions. I share them in hope that you will be challenged and encouraged to seek what God has to say to you about these topics on your own...


Monday, July 25, 2011

Authenticity

We’ve had some changes at the office that call for me to move my office to another location in the building. Moving an office is just as much a drag as moving to a new home. But just like moving into a new home, moving into a new office gives me the opportunity to do a comprehensive appraisal of all my stuff and get rid of the stuff that collects that’s really not stuff but trash. I’m finding that I’ve collected a lot of trash in the last 3 years. As I was moving items I had several lithographs stacked against the wall and noticed that whoever framed them formed a neat little pocket on the back of each piece. A place to hold the Certificate of Authenticity, assuring that the piece was a genuine work of the Artist.

In the world of art, the certificate has everything to do with the value of the piece. No matter how good a piece of art may look, without the Certificate of Authenticity it’s just a nice picture. The certificate is very official looking with several signatures including the artist and an elaborate, embossed stamp leaving no room for doubt that this a legitimate, authentic work from the Artist studio. The value of these pieces is greatly improved by having this documentation secured with each piece.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people came with a Certificate of Authenticity?

In the world we encounter people every day that represent themselves one way but in actuality they are something completely different. Unfortunately we have that same issue in the church too. As Christian men and women we have a responsibility to be authentic in the faith that we represent to others. But how can we authenticate our faith? Is there a form we can carry around or a stamp of approval to show others if we are questioned?

The Apostle Paul gives us pretty clear picture of what an authentic follower of Christ looks like:

Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.
Romans 12: 9-13 NLT

I know a lot of people who fit that description to a tee. I pray that there are others out there that see me that way too but I know that I fall short often. Fortunately falling short of that description is not a sign of faith that isn’t authentic, as long as we keep resetting the bar and try to reach it. I believe one of Satan’s primary tools he uses against believers is to make them believe that that they failed God’s expectations so they should just give up. And that is not true.

We are broken and flawed people in a broken and flawed world. The world tells us to take care of ourselves. God tells us to take care of others first. According to this passage from Romans we need to love people and that love needs to be real, not pretend love. We need to honor each other and be respectful of their needs. We need to work hard to serve the Lord and not be lazy. And we are supposed to be patient and have a confident hope in Christ.

Does that sound like you? I don’t feel I meet that mark either a lot of the time.

But we have that description as the mark of what a true follower of Christ is. The mark of authenticity if you will that tells the world that “this guy” is the real thing. And if that mark seems too high or unachievable that’s because it is. But the authentic Christian is the one that continually resets the bar after he misses the mark. The authentic Christian recognizes that when he does fall short of what God expects of him, he admits and identifies what caused him to fail and hits his knees in prayer asking God to help him do better the next time. And he does the same thing the next time he falls short, and the next time.

If the world sees someone who is constantly picking themselves back up and trying to help and love someone again and again, then that’s a pretty good indication of authenticity.  As Christian men and women we will all stand before our Lord to answer for our lives. I don’t believe we will stand in judgment of the bad things we’ve done because the Bible tells me God will remember our sins no more, we shall be as white as snow in his presence. I believe when we stand in the presence of Christ it will be to look at how well we recovered when we fell, not the fall itself.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
1 Timothy 1:15

If Paul fell short of the mark you can be certain that you and I will too. But Paul always picked himself up and got back the Lords work in an extraordinary way. Have you fallen short? Me too, let’s get up and get back to work!

Be encouraged,

Jeff

















1 comment:

  1. This was really good for me. Someone called me a hypocrite this week... and though *I personally think it was undeserved, considering the source, I've still stewed about that comment all week and wondered if I wasn't a 'better' Christian if no one would ever see me as a hypocrite? I'd rather think of it like you said... We're human, after all, and can't do everything the way Jesus would do it all the time, or even come close, but I guess the important thing is to get up and try again, like you said.

    ReplyDelete